It’s been longer than I would have liked, to post another update. That’s the funny thing…as the information changes quickly, its hard to stay ahead of it.
I want to give a bit of a back story. We have been at this water protection thing for almost two years. But our lack of water started in July, 2017. In our case, pile driving for wind turbines near our house started on July 27, 2017. By the end of the next day the water quit coming into the house in the middle of someone’s shower.
We found that the sediment traps we had installed to monitor our water quality ahead of the construction were clogged with sediment. We had never seen this before.
We lived for a week without running water. We flushed toilets with rain water, bathed at friends and neighbours houses, used the laundromat and hauled jugs of water. What made it more difficult was that the kids were detassling corn which is hot, dirty work. Not being able to shower when they got home was a real irritant. We also had a full dishwasher of dirty dishes that had to be washed.
By the next weekend we were able to get a water tank hooked up to the house so water usage was somewhat normal. The water tank was paid for by the wind company as there was a condition in the building permit that required them to provide water tanks in the case of any well interference.
Fast forward eight months…our government (MOECC) is telling us that even though they don’t know why so many wells in the area went black during pile driving, they are sure that pile driving did not cause the issue. With this information in hand, the wind company feels free to leave us without water even though the ground is frozen. We will be losing our tank this week. There will be more on this in the next few days.